Taco Soup for the Soul
Taco soup for the soul.
Vegetarian and or vegan
With the holidays and cold winter weather comes comfort food! I hope you enjoyed your share of yummy warm comfort food over the holidays, guilt-free. If you are like me and experienced your fair share of cookies and mac n' cheese, your body might be feeling a little starved for some veggies. This is an easy, delicious, and healthy recipe that will satisfy your comfort food cravings and fill your need for some nutrients! It is a win-win! NOTE: This is a vegetarian recipe but can easily be made vegan but switching the cheese on top to vegan cheese or leaving it off altogether.
- 2 boxes of vegetable broth
- 2 packs of your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 small pack of multi-colored small bell peppers
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of mild green chillies
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1/2 avocado
- Cheese, vegan cheese or regular cheddar
Spices and Oils:
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Chop onion and sautee in olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Chop sweet potato, bell peppers, and cauliflower.
- When onions are browned add in chopped bell peppers and sautee.
- Spread sweet potato and cauliflower on a baking sheet.
- Toss veggies with olive oil and taco seasoning.
- Roast at 350 until browned.
- Add remaining taco seasoning to onions and peppers in the pot.
- Add can of green chilies and stir.
- Add both boxes of veggie broth and simmer.
- Add corn, pinto beans, and the second pack of taco seasoning and stir.
- If you don't already have cooked rice go ahead and cook some and add 1 cup of cooked rice to the soup.
- When your veggies are done roasting add those to the pot as well.
- Now that all the ingredients are simmering we need to add a Tsp of salt. Give it a taste and adjust accordingly.
- I like my soup to be really flavorful so I add a little extra chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Top with avocado and a little cheese.
This recipe makes several servings so you can have it ready for a quick meal for the next few days. Plus the longer the soup sits, the better it tastes! Hope you had a fantastic holiday. If you feel some negative thoughts about your body creeping in try this affirmation: "I am so grateful for all the food, fun, and memories I shared this holiday season. I am looking forward to getting back to my normal schedule." It is okay to indulge and also get back to a balanced, healthy place. Enjoy.