Homemade Falafel with Tzatziki Sauce and Greek Salad
I have to admit I was so proud of myself for executing this recipe my first try! I modified a recipe from an old cookbook I found and the outcome was nothing short of amazing. Here is what you need to create this kind of beauty in your life:
- 3 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- 5 TBS olive oil
- 1-2 cups almond flour or almond meal
- Combine garbanzo beans and next 7 ingredients in food processor and blend.
- Empty blended beans into a bowl and add 1-2 cups almond flour or almond meal folding with your hands. Continue to add until mixture is not sticking to your hands.
- Divide mixture into 16 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2 inch thick patty.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add 5 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat adding new oil with each batch.
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp dill
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
My favorite way to eat these falafel patties is with a greek salad. Here is what I use:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta Cheese
- Sliced almonds
- Sunflower seeds
For the dressing, I use red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar and toss. Add a scoop of hummus, a scoop of tahini and top your salad with one or two falafel patties for the win! Seriously so delicious! Enjoy!